- Sometimes you just gotta sit down with the square screen. Between glimpses of Dancing with the Stars, the eastern weather, Judgement at Nuremberg and part of All the Presidents Men, anything and everything constructive but left by the wayside. I have no regrets, not a single one.....
- Folks on the northern part of the eastern seaboard, learn from those of us who have lived on the lower half. Just because that big storm last year actually turned out to be a little storm, well that doesn't mean you don't turn around and run for the hills the second time. Or the third time. Or the fourth time. As anyone on the Georgia,. Carolina or Florida coasts well know, you may well pack up and bug out ten times on false alerts. But the one time you decide not to go, you get an Andrew, or an Ivan. Or a Sandy. Hunkering down is not a reasonable hurricane or tropical storm solution-especially when you have days of notice.
- I'm making my home maintenance lists. You know, the "We can do this ourselves" list versus the "Call a Professional-Now" list. I had thought small tree and bush removal would be the former, but I'm now convinced it will be the latter. Unfortunately more and more items are wandering over to that secondary list-including anything having to do with any outlet or switch. Now I remember why I pay that three bucks every month to Angie's list.
- I would really love to hear recommendations for non aerobic exercises for folks who cannot get down on the ground. I've found some Utube exercise programs, including one for seated yoga. I'm having a darned hard time doing it on my own. It may be time to look for another solution.
- In a similar vein, is it wrong to have a double standard when it comes to that "S" word? I consider myself much too young to be in need of a senior center. On the other hand, they have lots of low cost exercise programs for those of us who are shall we say, less flexible (and always will be). I refuse to use a cane, even on gimpy days. But I am not above taking the senior discount at movies, or looking for senior freebies and benefits. Ah well, just call me fickle
- This is one of the few times that I am actually happy I no longer live in Virginia. Still, almost every area has it's own set of natural disaster/emergency issues and Texas is no different. We have the occasional tornado warning (or tornado), and the occasional ice storm. More importantly, we have really severe thunderstorms and extreme heat temps. Often, two or three of these issues intersect. I've been trying to figure out how to prepare for both financial and other emergencies. I'm already a stock up shopper. I know there are other things I should be doing in general, be it having a better first aid supply or keeping water on hand. The smartest choice is probably a small generator, or it would be if I were staying in this house for a long period of time.
- Deep cleaning and so called "decluttering" or "downsizing" brings me no joy. I am not a fifty fling boogy or "33 thing" kind of gal. I imagine it must be much easier if you are a part of the simplicity movement and or are bothered by stuff. I love my stuff and have no desire to loose it. Which probably means after this yard sale my decluttering days are done.
- I'm praying and discussing about tithing-for the first time in my life. I understand lots of the folks who wander through here are not regular church goers or members. To those who are, this would be absolutely the first time I have made this commitment-and already both my brain and budget are screaming no, no , no. This is a leap of faith in every sense. I'm happy to hear thoughts on this from anyone-made the commitment or not.
- Do I have to soak beans if I am going to make slow cooker soup? Obviously not a bean person here! Normally I make them once a year (usually using the leftover ham bone), however I have been slowly trying to add more beans to my life and repertoire. It helps though, if you now how to prepare them first.
- Finally, in a for women only comment, can i just sing the praises of vitamin E. Men, this is where you want to cover your eyes or ears. As a voluptuous woman who regularly and often has what can only be called boob sensitivity or achyness in the ahem area or under the arm, a single vitamin e tablet has worked wonders. Now, maybe I'm the last to find this wonder cure, but can I just say "wow".
- And now, I'm off to bed. Yesterday it was fifty and tomorrow it will be eighty-oh joy. That alone is probably an argument for the ole pneumonia vaccine.
Monday, October 29, 2012
Questions and Thoughts-Frugal And Otherwise
Quick thoughts on this Monday evening, along with a few questions:
One of the many reasons I don't do serious (other than visiting family) travel during the summer is the chance to stay at home. Warm w...
Traveling in retirement when we are single can be a challenge! Obviously it will be easier if you have a group of friends you've been tr...
Recently I downloaded a new book to my Kindle. The book is titled Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Al...
Today my heart literally hurts so much that there are no words. I am ashamed to be an American. Yes, I know what it means to say that. And I...