- Pulling out the fall decorations. Nothing is in it's final place but the fall bin has been unpacked and I am in the fall decor zone. As always I would like to add a couple new items to my fall decor. I need a new door wreath, and fortunately they are forty percent off almost everywhere this week. I'm also looking to make one of those floral arrangements with candies in the front.
- Since last week was my birthday, this weekend I visited family to celebrate. Rather than choose the meal, I generally ask my brother the chef what he would like to make, knowing that whatever it is I will love it. Add that to lemon meringue pie and...
- I am also looking at going out for my birthday. Regular readers know I am an expensive/gourmet restaurant kind of girl, and as such I go out about three or four times a year (you can keep the Outback!). My brother the chef, named above, does not cook seafood, so lobster here I come.
- Preparing to go see the Martian opening week.( I decided to revisit this and wait a week, I do believe) As always costs will be kept down by going during the day, using my senior pass, and using the rewards card that earns me free food. Recliner movie seats, here I come.
- Reading for my Olli classes. Although I'll talk more about these, later, I am loving both. My Great Decisions class is full of people who can have conversations and even disagree with kindness and politeness on all issues-very refreshing. My memoir writing class is challenging and sharing writing out loud is a new thing for me.
- Taking time to go to a huge fall festival and craft fair. Eating, drinking and getting lots of crafting ideas, without buying much-unless I can find some really bright hand knit socks to wear with my sandals.
- Walking and Swimming
- Watching football, going to church, watching football. And perhaps a small amount of knitting or sewing.
- Looking at the pile of medicare mail on my desk. I turned 64 last week and already I am receiving piles of medicare stuff. While I'll talk more about this later, I won't have to get Medicare D because my drug program exceeds theirs.
- Making a list of personal and home preparations for the cooler weather, such as buying a comforter and those heavy socks.
- Finalizing and making a commitment to both the dates and the places of my next three road trips-San Francisco by train (not sure of the dates of this). An early spring Texas and gulf road trip. A very long cross country drive to Washington DC, down to Savannah and back to Denver. And of course a long drive to Texas Hill country and back.
Sunday, October 4, 2015
This Past Week in Retirment-Olli Classes, Welcoming Fall and more!
Fall has officially arrived. The weather is mild and warm and sunny during the day and very cool (45) at night and life is good. As we end the weekend zone, I this past week I have been:
One of the many reasons I don't do serious (other than visiting family) travel during the summer is the chance to stay at home. Warm w...
Traveling in retirement when we are single can be a challenge! Obviously it will be easier if you have a group of friends you've been tr...
Recently I downloaded a new book to my Kindle. The book is titled Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Al...
Today my heart literally hurts so much that there are no words. I am ashamed to be an American. Yes, I know what it means to say that. And I...